WHAT IS IT?
Squirrelling, in the world of design, means to quietly clean & plan in order to survive challenging times (like winter, a very challenging brief or a deadline).
At the time I wrote: "Like squirrels, our best designers can be seen storing material at various locations and return to them throughout a project to maintain their energy levels when resources (like time, motivation, drive, energy) are scarce."
It's awesome because it ensures
- Considered deliverables
- Clarity of thought
However, it takes effort. It involves
- Being as quiet as possible (to think)
- Tidying up and throwing out (to de-clutter)
- Gathering useful material (quantity over quality)
- Organising & categorising useful assets (quality over quantity)
- Sleeping over big decisions, ensuring nothing is done on the same day of organising, because it takes so long to organise!
Squirrelling is best done at the start of the project. Ideally by at least two designers.